Google

Friday, April 21, 2006

Nice Subway Tool...Mostly Accurate

I checked out a new transit website called HopStop.com. You can find out what train and/or bus to take to get to any specific location in New York City. You don't even have to be on the Internet to get directions. You can have directions sent to you via text message from your mobile device after you send a text message to them with the address you need to get to. You can also get directions by saying the address when you call up for directions. This works by using voice recognition technology (in case you were thinking you might get a live operator).

I would guess most New Yorkers won't be needing the service often because everyone that rides the transit system regularly already knows how to get to the same location (assuming you are going to work, school, etc., on a daily basis). It does sound like a darn good service for anyone trying to get to a location for the first time though. So, if you are a New Yorker that commutes to work every day the same way, you know where you're going. But, you can use this nifty website if you need to get to that new restaurant you've been reading about or meet someone for a date or, well, you get the picture. I'm sure the tourists would love this service too.

I haven't really tested this website that much and I haven't tried the mobile service yet either but I can already say that this website is shaping up to be a winner. The only problem I've already encountered is the accuracy during certain hours and days of the week. The system does not take into account the fact that there are copious amounts of construction and/or repairs late at night into the early morning and also during the entire weekends. If someone is looking for directions to a location during these times, they will most likely receive information that may lead them on a "wild goose chase." This is where Hopstop.com may lose valuable new users. I say valuable because this is a fairly new website (as far as I can tell) and anyone trying it out at the "wrong time" will find the directions useless or at worst, aggravating.

I have a whole load of ideas for Hopstop.com and I'm sure they could use my expertise on subway "detours", so maybe I'll send them an email...soon. I'm not looking for a job but I could do some consulting.

By the way, they also have beta versions for Boston, Washington D.C. and San Francisco. Check them out!

1 Comments:

At February 11, 2013 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how's things nycsubwayguide.blogspot.com blogger discovered your blog via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your website http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home